Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Current work-Kansas Landscape

Soo... I have a housewarming party to go to this weekend for my friend and old college roommate, Emily. My usual gift for these types of occasions is a painting and in this circumstance I really wanted to paint her one. She has one of my splatter paintings that I did in 2003, but ever since one of her male friends decided that it reminded him of a certain part of the male anatomy, no one can see past that. I have a feeling that she is probably not going to hang up her splatter painting and I wanted to give her something that she could be proud to own and one that wouldn't remind anyone of any human's anatomy.



Emily's house is pretty old and the interior architecture is in a traditional-arts & crafts-Frank Lloyd Wright-style, so I thought that a landscape would be a pretty traditional subject matter. I also decided to take it in a bold and very colorful direction because the inside of her house is painted in multiple colors. I knew immediately that I wanted to paint her a "Kansas" landscape because both Emily and her boyfriend, Galen, are from Kansas, their new house is in Missouri and I thought that they needed a reminder of where they came from. I like where the painting is but I think that it still needs more... and I am not sure where to go from here.



I hope that I can figure out what I want to do with it before Saturday, because I would really like to give it to her at her party.... we will see how that goes. I also hope that Emily isn't reading this right now, but in case she is.... Happy Housewarming, Em!!!!

No comments: