Friday, October 16, 2009

Invites

My baby is going to be 1 year old in a few weeks... I seriously can't believe it. I know that every parent says that, but this time I am really stunned how fast time has flown by. The first year seemed to go by so much slower with my oldest, probably because we didn't really know what we were doing :-) But I am definitely feeling cheated this time around.

So the invitations went out this week. I realized Tuesday night that I am going to have to high-tail it and get these done and sent or nobody is going to show up! Since I was on such a tight deadline, I was unable to make it down to Paper Source, so I got these cards at Archivers. They were a bit more expensive, but I only had to make 10... so no biggie. The folded card is in the color sage (although the scanned image came out very yellow) and I used a smaller flat card for the inside (not pictured) where I hand wrote the text. The color of the flat card is powder blue?, the official name escapes me, but I also got the envelopes in the blue color.

I made a stamp with block printing rubber. With this type of block print, I prefer to use a stamp pad over block printing ink. I don't think the rubber holds up well in the press (especially since mine is an industrial 30ton press) and when doing an image of a person, I think that the stamp pad allows for more precision. And what I mean by that is, when I use my press (even with linoleum) I expect a certain margin of error and I almost welcome it because I think that adds to the charm and authenticity of a block print. But I think that margin of error is too big when printing an image of a specific person and I think that even with the slightest change it could very quickly look like someone else, or definitely not the person depicted.
Here is how it turned out. I am absolutely thrilled and I can't help but smile when I look at it :-)
And I have also been playing with different self- "caricatures". This is the latest one located on the back of the invites: I over stamped my name on this one, but you get the point.
In other crafty news :-) I am still working on a knitting project for my mom. This is the longest knitting project that I have ever undertaken and because of this, I haven't been able to work on a whole lot of other things. However, a friend of mine just had her 2nd child a week or so ago so I am thinking of knitting a hat and booties for her little one. Those are really quick projects so they shouldn't take away too much time from my mom's project. Also, I am working on Halloween costumes... which I better light a fire under my own rear end and get them done!! My oldest is going to be a tornado, per his request. The body of the tornado is complete, I just need to embellish it and it is done. I was thinking about making my baby into a cow, which would work well with the tornado... but I have yet to start on that costume. So the cow idea is slightly up in the air. If I come across something else that is SUPER cute and quicker to make, I might have to switch ideas. But I better stop talking (or rather typing) about doing all of this and get to work! So until I have another spare moment to post again (not likely for another month or so)...... Toodles.

No comments: