Thursday, November 4, 2010

Costume

So, I cheated this year. My oldest wanted to be Darth Vader and a friend had given us a costume that her son wore last year. I planned on embellishing it a little but then I figured that it would be a hassle for him to dress himself at school for his party if there was all kinds of extra things on his costume. So he had a store bought costume this year... and he didn't care, it worked out.

Since my youngest is too young to pick his own costume, we made him into Yoda. I had to make his entire costume which turned out to be a piece of cake. I used a pattern for his pants and made them out of brown linen. I cut apart one of his long sleeve t-shirts that I was willing to sacrifice and used it as a pattern for the shirt, which I also made out of brown linen. I made a few alterations to the shirt to make it more "Yoda-ish". At times Yoda wears a cream colored cloak, so I also used the t-shirt for that pattern. When I made the hood I didn't allot for size so it didn't fit, but really Yoda's hood isn't big enough to fit those big ears anyway so I think it was fine. I also sewed the brown linen scraps together and created 3 long pieces of double fold biased tape that I sewed together and braided for the belt

The "hat" I made out of green polar fleece. I cut out a square that was bigger than his head, I draped it on his head and pinched each of the sides so that it cupped his head. I cut out 4 ear shapes, sewed them together, stuffed them and then sewed them on top of the gathered sides. I used a machine to sew the front and back of the ears together but the gathers on the hat and attaching the ears had to be done by hand. I think if I had it to do over, I would have sewed some details into the ears but all in all I think it tuned out just fine.

As a bonus, the glow stick that I bought for "little Yoda" just happened to be green so he had his own mini light saber in the appropriate Yoda green. I had a toy light saber for him but it didn't light up and was frankly too big for him to carry around anyway.


My oldest wants to be Indiana Jones next year, so I better get started on that! :-) But 1st, my Christmas cards need to be made BY Thanksgiving!

No comments: