Thursday, January 13, 2011


I am reading the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. The 1st 2 books were paperback that my mom sent me after she read them and the 3rd book was on my new e-reader that my parents got me for Christmas. We share an account, so my mom already had it downloaded and just waiting for me to read. After I reached the 1st half of the 1st book, I couldn't stop... they are so good, so I was completely excited that I didn't have to wait to read the 3rd book. Upon starting this book on the e-reader I was a little nervous because the e-reader is so thin and feels like I am going to break it at any minute.... and for those of you that know me know that my clumsiness does not mix well with fragile pieces of technology. So, I looked on the internet for a case to go around the e-reader, that will hold and protect the reader while in use, and they only had 2 available. Both cases were completely boring and the only 2 differences are that one had a light and the other didn't and one was $30, the other $50. To top it all off, they both got a 1 star rating in the customer review section that convinced me to make my own.

I already had an idea in my mind of a hand made e-reader cover, my girl Erin made this one a while back for her Kindle.
I knew that I wanted mine to have a "case" around the actual e-reader but that was about all the direction I had. The same Erin told me about the Pellon, Peltex 72F Double-Sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer. It is a very stiff fusible stabilizer that when sewn inside, acts similar to cardboard. So I bought some of the stabilizer that set me back about $3 (half of a yard for 40% off at JoAnn Fabrics) and then I decided to use some of the fabric that I have been accumulating to make the rest.

During the planning stages I saw this art quilt on a this blog and LOVED IT!!! I wasn't looking to "Quilt" my e-reader case but piecing the outside cover fabric was definitely possible. So with all of those things in mind, I rushed through making it yesterday. Consequently the sewing is horrendous and all of the edges aren't square... but it works. It was extremely tedious to make the "case" inside since I left openings for the important ports, buttons and alike. I also made some pockets on the inside front cover. I'm not really sure what I would keep in there, but it was real handy for small book light that I already have. It just clipped right on!

Luckily, I learned a lot and have already made some revisions and when I have more time to spend, I will make another that is much better. But for now, when I am reading... I don't feel as if I am going to break the darned thing! Oh and sewing through the thick Pellon was actually a lot easier than I thought! The best part about all of this is that I spent $3 on this case and I am definitely going to give it at least 3 out of 5 stars!

Front over
Back cover
Inside... don't look too close, it looks pretty bad... but definitely FUNCTIONAL!

1 comment:

kclili said...

OMG!! I love it! Love the inspiration as well. I won't have hung it up with just tape but it looks amazing like that.

Way to use your scaps!