Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Crochet Crazy & Free Pattern

It seems like I have been crocheting like mad lately.  Here are a few things that I have been working on:

This is the Crochet Flower Scarf that I crocheted as a class sample for a class that I am teaching, for more info click here.
This is the Chunky Lace Crochet Scarf that is also a class sample for a class that I am teaching. For more info, click here.



 A special thanks to Jessica for modeling both scarves for these photos :-)


I am also working on this scarf that I am lovingly referring to as my "Jessica Copycat Scarf".  Jessica made one of these and I LOVED it so I am making one out of the same yarn, but different color way.  So far so good one this one.


And as promised here is a free pattern for the Jumbo Crochet Flower with Poof.

Materials:

Yarn- Super Bulky yarn.  For a solid color I recommend Gedifra Highland Alpaca.  For a variegated color  I recommend Berroco Sundae.  (both of these yarns are available at Urban Arts + Crafts in KC,MO)
Hook- P (11.5mm)
Darning needle, scissors

Abbreviations & Symbols:


For symbols, please refer to this chart with 1 exception; I drew a straight line for the "in back loop only", and 2 additional symbols; the small star indicating where to start, and the small triangle indicating where to end and tie off.

Ch - chain
SlSt - slip stitch
SC - single crochet
HDC - half double crochet
DC -  double crochet
St - stitch
Sts - stitches
Image A

Pattern: (see image A)


Row 1: Ch 4, SlSt into 1st Ch to create a circle

Row 2: Ch 2, DC 9 into the circle, SlSt into the top of the (Ch 2).

Row 3: *Ch 3, working into the back loops only, skip one DC, SlSt into the next DC from precious row.  Repeat from * 3 times. Ch 3, SlSt into the top of the (Ch 2) from row 2.

Row 4: [SC, 1HD, 2DC, 1 HD, SC] into each of the (Ch 3) loops.  SlSt into the back post of the (Ch 2) from row 2.

Row 5: Ch 5, SlSt into the back post of the DC to create the next row of petals.  Repeat 4 times.

Row 6: [SC, 1HD, 3DC, 1HD, SC] into each of the petal loops.  SlSt into the last post. Tie off. Tuck in ends.

Image B

For center "poof" (see image B):  With a different color yarn (if desired), SlSt into one of the front loops of the center DCs, created in Row 2.  DC into each of the front loops of the DCs.  Tie off leaving a 6"-9" tail.
Image C

(See image C)- Using a darning needle, thread tail and wrap around each of the back loops of the DCs that you just created, then pull taunt to close the poof.  Tie off and tuck in ends.


The above photos are the finished product.  I used Gedifra Highland Alpaca in the colors 2980-Teal and 2907 Kiwi.

The above photo shows another flower that I made with Berroco Sundae in the color 8715-Isle of Skye.  This flower I added on a 3rd row of petals.

That's it for now.  I am almost done with my son's quilt...  I just have to make and sew on the binding.  Hopefully I will get that done soon :-)      PS. feel free to e-mail me with any questions about this pattern.  Happy Crocheting!!


No comments: