Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Beverages

Winter is practically here and I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite winter drinks.  First up is my Caramel Apple Cider Cocktail.   I came up with this recipe a few weeks ago (although I am sure there are some similar recipes out there).



Ingredients (makes one drink)
1 c. Spiced or Mulled Apple Cider
1 shot Butterscotch Schnapps
1 shot Whipped Cream Vodka
Caramel sauce, whipped cream, ice (optional)



Ingredients (makes 1 pitcher, apx. 5 drinks)
5 c. Spiced or Mulled Apple Cider 
1/2 c. Butterscotch Schnapps
1/2 c. Whipped Cream Vodka

I buy apple cider from the store, I heat it up in a pot on the stove or in a crock pot and steep mulling spices in a tea ball infuser.  (At this time of year you can usually find the mulling spice next to the apple cider in the produce department.)  Although this adds depth of flavor, it is by no means necessary.  I mix the cider and alcohol together pour it on ice or serve it hot in a mug.  I like a small amount of caramel ice cream sauce in mine, but it is also fun to serve topped with whipped cream with caramel drizzle.

Chai Tea has become pretty popular and my best friend came over with a Vanilla Chai Latte form the new Dunkin Donuts up the street.  One sip and I knew I could make it and for WAY cheaper.  Here is what I came up with.



Ingredients (Make 3 drinks)
Chai Tea Bag  (I use Twinings)
3 c. water
Vanilla simple syrup (recipe below)
Milk

I use one Chai Tea Bag per 3 c. of water, this makes a weaker tea which is pretty common when buying the drinks at a fast food restaurant.  In a mug, I pour in 1-2 Tbs. vanilla simple syrup, I nearly fill the cup with the prepared tea and then add a splash (about 2 tbs.) of milk.


Vanilla Simple Syrup
1 1/2 c. water
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Heat the water and sugar in a saucepan over Med. heat just until all of the sugar is dissolved. Remove from hear and add the extract.  You can store this in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

I hope everyone drinks lots (responsibly) during this holiday season.  Until next time, Cheers!!!

No comments: