Thursday, August 15, 2013

Proving Myself Wrong

During the summer, I only wear flip flops.  Seriously.  So it doesn't really make sense that I have chosen now to take the plunge and knit my first pair of socks.  I am always up for a challenge but I have always stayed away from knitting socks.  Why, you ask?  Well, for many reasons:  1. It's cheaper and easier to buy socks.  2. I am extremely hard on my feet so it would make me really mad to spend so much effort on something that I will just wear a hole in.  3. I just know that I would get done with one sock and not want to knit up the second sock, therefor I wouldn't ever wear the one sock.  4. Have you seen sock yarn and sock needles?  5.  I just don't wanna.

Slowly, I started to come around.  I consider myself an advanced knitter and I have always had this nagging in the back of my head that said, "You're not advanced until you can knit socks."  Then I had a group of women recently tell me that I haven't lived until I wear a pair of hand knitted socks (I know, I hang around some real delinquents).  I have the needles and the yarn (I don't really know why) and I really started to develop a desire to tackle a sock pattern with the excuse that I am going to make them just to prove how much I will hate making them.

I checked out a bunch of sock books from the Library, scoured the Internet for free patterns and asked my sock knitting friends for suggestions.  I now have several patterns to choose from, but I decided on this free Knitty pattern:


I picked out my yarn and dug in.


Today marks day 3 since the cast on of sock 1 and so far I am half way through the heel flap.  It has gone pretty smoothly thus far, well see how the rest goes...  I will also begrudgingly admit that I am actually enjoying knitting this sock.  We'll see how I feel when I have to start on sock number 2 :-)



Until next time, Happy Sock Knitting! 

No comments: