Tuesday, April 15, 2014

New Craft Room!!!!

YAY!!!!!  New craft room reveal!!!!!  I finally put enough together to show you my new room!!! WOOHOOO.  Ok so, here it goes.....

This is as you enter the room.  I would like you to take note of a few things.  First the hallway wall color, it's like a green-apple green.  I wanted a green living room/hallway when we moved into this house (8 years ago) and after considering many green options, I chose this one that was called 'Precious Jasper'.  Many of you will see how I just could't pick any other color.  The second thing that I will like you to take note of the is the super out-dated "honey-oak" trim that is throughout the house.  Well, the new craft room is the first room in my transformation of the honey oak trim into white trim. I plan on painting all of the trim at some point.


This room is so small that I couldn't get a really great picture of the overall inside look.  This is the closest I could get.  I painted the trim white, 3 walls light gray and 1 wall a charcoal chalkboard paint.


We are going to start on the left and work counter clockwise through the room.  Directly behind the entry door is an assortment of odds and ends that were hanging on the wall in previous craft room. I pretty much threw them up on the wall and will definitely change arrangement... sometime.  It will do for now, though.


Next to this is the closet door which holds my knitting needle handmade caddy. Also notice that the door stop is an antique iron.  My grandma used these for door stops in her house so years ago, when I saw one while junkin', I bought it for the same purpose.  It would look so much better on wood floors, but for now, it will work on carpeted ones.


Next, is a piece of furniture that I gained in the move.  This is a book shelf that was previously used on the other side of the basement and now it houses my assortment of well organized craft supplies.  The overall theme of this room is "chalkboard" so it is pretty handy that I already had chalk board clings on my plastic shoe boxes that house my supplies.  On the top is an assortment of craft books and on the bottom....


... is my vintage sewing machine. For display purposes only, although I bet it would work if we wanted it to.


Next is another piece of furniture that I gained in the move.  This is the Ikea Kallax (although it was the Expedite when I bought it) shelf that I purchased a few summers ago for the boys' playroom.  It worked well for that purpose but wasn't being used to it's full potential, so now it's mine.  It takes the place of the hutch/dresser that was part of my childhood set.  This is much more efficient to hold fabric and the hutch/dresser is in the basement.  You will also notice that the top of the shelf holds my button collection.



The majority of my button collection is separated by color, a little OCD? Sure, but I do use them in various knitting projects and such so I found that they are easier to pick from when they are color coordinated.  This small section of buttons, however are still mixed.  They are special because they are button collections that belonged to both of my grandmothers and also the hub's grandmother.  I'm not sure if I will ever use them in any projects, but if I do it will have to be for a very special purpose.


In front of the enormous (compared to the one in the basement) window, is my sewing desk.  Same as in the basement.  I had to do a little arranging to accommodate my thread into the desk drawers, but it works out even better.  I just happened to have the perfect curtains to go in this room.  I originally bought them for my master bedroom and immediately didn't like the way they looked in there.  So I've been storing them for 2 years and was excited when I remembered them and how great they would look in this room.




Here is my drafting table.  I like it right next to my sewing table because I use the desk lamp at both tables.   I bought the large cork board at Hobby Lobby on a half-off sale.  It had a great frame, in the perfect color.  I covered the cork with fabric that I had already in my stash (woohoo) and it looks great.


Desk lamp works great when I am sewing:


Here is the warehouse shelving that I had in my other craft room.  The crates on the top 2 shelves and half of the 3rd shelf are full of yarn....  can you say yarn hoarder? The bottom 2 shelves are a montage of craft and art supplies that do not organize well.  So I bought a few tension rods and made some cafe curtains to cover them up.  You can't see it really well, but the curtains are made out of a gray on gray wood print fabric....  I love it!


A close up of some of my yarning supplies.  I like to use canning jars for storage :-)


And now we have come full circle to the lockers.  You will probably notice that on the top of the lockers is my Twilight Barbie collection.  Don't judge!  There is a long involved story of why I have an almost complete collection of Twilight Barbies, but to give you a brief summery...  this Barbie collection is a direct representation of my love/hate relationship with the entire Twilight franchise. 'nough said.  Moving on....  :-)


Ah.... This is one of my favorite additions to the room, my antique mirrored switch plate.  I have this thing for "themed" switch plates... perhaps it was the influence of that Snoopy switch plate that I had in my bedroom growing up?  We will probably never know.  The point is that when I redecorated this room, I had this vision of an antique beveled, maybe carved or etched, mirrored switch plate.  You think I could fine one?  NO!  I looked on Etsy, I looked on Ebay, I looked on Craigslist, I could not find one AT ALL.  So it was a bit serendipitous that while looking in a basket of junk at my favorite local antique mall, I came across 4 of these switch plates that fit almost my exact dream.  So I bought the one with the most character.


And check out the awesome packaging! From Pennsylvania... the birth state of pretty much my entire family (except me).  Meant to be, right?


I spent a long time picking out a light fixture for the room.  I originally thought about going with a small crystal chandelier.  Well, they were either too big, didn't provide enough light or were too expensive.  I ended up deciding on the Lotus pendant from World Market and I LOOOOVVVVEEE it!

The best part is that I get this huge window that has a great view!  And after being underground in the basement for so long, looking at this view makes me feel like I am floating!!!  


I hope you like my room as much as I do!  Until next time, Happy decorating!  


4 comments:

Karen Roark said...

Hey that bag looks familiar! ;). Looks great and i wish you many happy sewing years!

Unknown said...

Hi,let's joint with us. Make money from Amazon with Wp Amazillionaire

Polenta said...

Hey Cornflower Blue!

I am in love with your crocheted yellow organic cotton arm warmers and I've been searching for the pattern online for a bit. Is there any place I can find it online or is it no longer available?

Thanks so much and keep crafting!
Grace

Unknown said...

Der beste Teil ist, dass ich dieses riesige Fenster, die einen herrlichen Blick hat zu bekommen! Und nachdem er unter der Erde in den Keller so lange, Blick auf diese Ansicht gibt mir das Gefühl, als würde ich schwimm !!!

www.fifa-munzen.de

http://www.fifa-munzen.de/