Monday, October 29, 2007

Completed Project-Vertical Scarf


At the store that I work at, we usually make a sample scarf with any of the new yarn that we get so that customers can see how it knits up. Trendsetter Yarns has a new yarn called Venus. In the skein, the yarn appears to be pretty crazy, but when it knits up it isn't really that crazy. This posed a challenge because with a really crazy yarn, you can knit a really plain/easy scarf and it turns out looking like a masterpiece. But when you use a yarn that is a bit more conservative, then I think the scarf looks a bit plain unless the pattern has a lot of detail. I think there were 3 of us that knitted a bit of the scarf and took it out and finally one of my co-workers decided to knit the scarf vertically instead of horizontally. It turned out SO great that I bought a skein for myself and knitted my own scarf and I think it turned out GREAT. I used the color Garden of Eden, I casted on 300 stitches and knit the entire skein... the scarf turned out great. The only thing that I would caution someone on, is that you should make sure that you cast on and bind off very loosely. Even if you do that, you will still have to block it in the end... but I think it is well worth the effort. The more I look at it, the more I want to make another but I think that I might just make the next one out of scrap yarn. I also think it will be interesting if I leave the tails as fringe at each end, which makes it even easier because you don't have to weave in any of the ends.



No comments: