Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Past Work-Money in a Clothes Dryer Epilogue


Photobucket

During my last year in college, I went through a Jackson Pollock stage. I started by painting in a style similar to his, where I laid a large piece of unstretched/unprimed canvas on the floor and proceed to splatter paint it. The finished work was horrible, but what I realized was that I liked how the wet paint interacted with the wet paint in different colors. So I started to produce smaller pieces that had a sense of depth before I introduced the splatter paint. When I did splatter the paint I did it sparingly and strategically to get my desired effect. My mother was showing some pictures of my spatter paintings to a late family friend and he commissioned me to paint him a painting. When I completed the painting, Money in a Clothes Dryer, I wasn't completely satisfied with the end result. I went a bit overboard with the splatter and it ended up more like a spill. So I painted, Money in a Clothes Dryer Epilogue (above right). In the end I liked the first painting better and that is the one that I sent him. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of that first painting and even more unfortunate... my family friend, Donnie Rotten, passed away not long after he received the painting. The detail on the left shows an example of the paint interaction that intrigues me to this day. ( Money in a Clothes Dryer Epilogue 2004. Latex on canvas, apx. 18" x 24") I donated this painting to a local art auction to raise money for public television. I have no idea where it is now.


Photobucket

No comments: