Thursday, January 17, 2008

Completed Project- layered cake

So, I have been in this baking mood lately. After the Christmas season, I didn't think I would see the day that I would want to do that much baking again... but that day has come. I am throwing a baby shower for my sister-in-law next month, I know that I want to make the cake, so I decided to do a test run. I used a cake recipe that I have never tried before so I just needed to make sure that it wasn't a flop. I made this white cupcake recipe from Martha but I made it into 3-8.5" layers for 1 cake.
I cut the tops of each layer off so that each later was flat. I cut each of those 3 layers in half. The fist layer, I pipped a white chocolate mousse that I made, around the edge and filled the inside with raspberry jam.
The second layer I pipped the white chocolate mousse around the edge and then filled the inside with the same mousse. I continued to do this until the cake was complete.
I also found a really great use for my Pom Tea Jars. It is great to hold your pastry bag when you are filling it.
I ended up icing the cake with a very basic vanilla buttercream that I colored pink. It turned out sooooo hideous that I didn't even take a picture!!!! For the actual baby shower cake, I found another Martha recipe for a white chocolate buttercream, and I might just forgo the pink food coloring. I found some pink fondant, that I don't have to make, and I was considering using that for decoration... but I haven't made my final decision yet. The cake was delicious!!! The icing wasn't quite up to my standard as far as taste as well as its appearance and I think that when I make this cake the 2nd time, I am going to put less jam in between the layers. I think that the jam make the cake a little too sweet, and I think that if I just use less, it will turn out perfect. I will take pics of the official cake and post them after the baby shower.

No comments: