Monday, March 26, 2012

Food Swing


This is what we had for dinner tonight, Asian Chicken Salad.  We really like Asian food in my house so this definitely appealed to all of us.  I originally bought the ingredients to make this recipe from this blog:

But then I had my doubts, so I turned to Pinterest, searched for Ginger Chicken, since I bought some fresh ginger, and it led me to this recipe from this blog:

I modified the marinade to suit my taste and the quantity that I was making so this is what I did:

1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2-3/4 C soy sauce (I prefer low sodium)
Juice of 2 limes (I had one big one small)
6 garlic cloves crushed
2 T fresh grated garlic (I guesstimated, probably put in a little more)
2.5 lbs. chicken tenders
Sesame Seeds
Scallions (Green Onions)
Mixed Baby Greens
Won Ton Wrappers
Canola oil
Ginger Sesame Salad Dressing


I reserved 3/4 C of the marinade for basting.  With the rest, I marinated the chicken for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a heavy sauce pan, I heated 2"-3" of Canola Oil on a medium heat.  I cut the Won Ton Wrappers into 1/2" strips and when the oil started to ripple I dropped in the Won Ton Wrappers one at a time in batches of 10 (or so). These fry up very fast, in a matter of seconds, so when they start to bubble and brown a touch, then take them out using a strainer and put them to drain on paper towels that are set on a plate.  I then grilled the chicken on the medium setting on my indoor electric grill.  You could grill the outside, or use a grill pan.  The original recipe says to grill 5 minutes on each side, since my indoor grill has a lid, it took about 4 minutes on the 1st side and 3 or so on the 2nd.  I used the reserved marinade to baste while the chicken was grilling.  Once the chicken was done, I removed them from the grill, placed them on a plate, then sprinkled them with Sesame Seeds and thinly sliced Scallions.

To assemble the salad, I started with the baby greens, topped them with the chicken, poured on a little dressing, then topped it all with the fried Won Tons.  


This salad was amazing!!!  It is super easy to get into a salad rut and this is definitely a cure.  The hubs even gave this a 9/10!!!  And my 6 year old, while helping me make the marinade, didn't want to stop tasting the marinade because (and I quote), "It tastes like SUSHI!!!"

Let me know if you have any questions, Enjoy this one... we did!!!

No comments: